Feb 12 2015

Keeping Valentine’s Day Safe for Your Pets

According to a recent survey by the National Retail Federation, one in 5 people will include their pets in their Valentine’s Day shopping in 2015. While they will spend $5.28 on average, the total will add up to about $703 million.

While we’re all for showering our loved ones with gifts, remember there are a few things you should not buy for your pets – and if you receive them yourself, you should keep them well out of reach of curious canines and felines.


Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is fine for us humans, but can make pets very ill – it can even be fatal if they eat enough of it. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains.


Your pets may love floral arrangements and plants, but many plants are toxic to cats and dogs. Keep all flowers – and those little freshness packets – well out of reach.


It’s sparkly and shiny and your pets may find it very captivating – maybe even shiny enough to eat. In the best case scenario, you will find yourself washing your new gift in a few days, but it can be much worse. Sharp edges and earring posts can cause internal injuries, and necklaces can get tangled in their intestines – which needs surgery to fix.

Fancy cards

Intricate decorations are easily chewed off of cards and eaten. This can cause stomach upset and be very uncomfortable for them to pass.


They may be romantic, but pets may find the flames fascinating and get too close. They can singe or burn themselves, or even knock candles over – so never leave open flames unattended.


Alcohol is toxic to cats and dogs and can be life-threatening. If you pour a fancy drink, don’t leave it unattended.

So this Valentine’s Day, show your pets you love them by keeping these marvelous items well out of reach, and share some snuggles instead.

LifeLearn Team |